Saturday, October 11, 2014

A New Adventure

I started this blog as a student of horticulture.  I have since discovered that horticulture is not my field.  With a three year bachelor of arts degree and one year of a diploma in horticulture under my belt, I enrolled in the two-year agriculture diploma at Olds College.  While I wallow through economics and accounting (grudgingly admitting to myself that these classes will eventually come in handy), I live for my crops and livestock classes, eagerly looking forward to learning all I can about these subjects.  When I go home for a weekend, it's always exciting to put what I have learned into practice and to learn more from my dad.  I appear to have my field of work: farming.  Good old-fashioned farming, with a few crops, a few animals, and a fairly small amount of land.  Somehow my dad doesn't need specialty crops to make money on his three quarter sections.  Somehow, I hope to accomplish the same and keep the family farm going as it has been for decades.  As a woman, I know this will be difficult.  Some days the impossibility of the task rises up and threatens to choke my dreams, and yet I cannot let go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments positive and constructive. If there is a post or comment that you disagree with, feel free to disagree in a respectful manner. Different points of view keep our world interesting and they need not divide us!