Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Women as Farmers: Is it Biblical?

This post is a response to my earlier post, "Are Female Farmers Feminists.". In that post I was struggling to figure out if I am a feminist because I am a farmer and, if so, if that was wrong.  My conclusions were, for me, less than satisfactory.  I have been revisiting my thoughts on that issue and this is the result.

I have been thinking, agonizing actually, for several months, trying to figure out if I am stepping outside of God's will in becoming a farmer.  I know I am certainly stepping outside of society's idea of the proper role for women.  This Sunday was a tipping point.  I had to know if I was doing the wrong thing.

I think I have mentioned before that it gets back to me when friends, relatives, and people of the church express their disapproval of my becoming a farmer to others.  Just so you know, I know if you don't approve.  And it troubles me that you don't.  It troubles me because I hate to disappoint people who I know are concerned for me and want the best for me.  It also troubles me because I wonder if those people are right: maybe I can't do it; maybe I am stepping too far outside of God's set boundaries for what women should and should not do (I'm not exactly sure where those boundaries are, but I am becoming more and more convinced that they do exist).

Most people who disapprove of my venture don't show their disapproval to my face.  But there are a few, those most firm in their beliefs about what women should and should not do, who have suddenly changed how they act around me.  There are a very few people at church who will not even look at me anymore.  That hurts deeply, especially since these are older people who used to teach me in kids clubs and encourage me in my walk with God.  I looked up to these people and now it's as if I have completely fallen flat in their expectations of me and they have given up even calling me a sister in Christ.  I felt that scorn this Sunday as one older gentleman greeted my father after church and then, looking resolutely at the floor, rushed past me without so much as a "Good morning."

That was the last straw.  I had to know if I was wrong or not.  After stewing over the incident all day, I dragged myself out of bed late at night, found some of my sister's textbooks from Bible school, and set to work researching and looking up passages.  By the time I had finished, I was nearly in tears out of frustration.  Every passage I found dealt with married women and had little to do with economic roles.  I'm not married!  I need to support myself somehow!  It was most frustrating.  The only passage that I have ever found dealing with unmarried women is in 1 Corinthians 7:34-35, which says,

"There is a difference between a wife and a virgin. The unmarried woman cares about the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and in spirit. But she who is married cares about the things of the world—how she may please her husband. And this I say for your own profit, not that I may put a leash on you, but for what is proper, and that you may serve the Lord without distraction." (NKJV)

Tired and frustrated, I put the textbooks back on the shelf and returned to my Bible to search out the description of the Proverbs 31 woman, which is where I generally turn when I'm trying to figure out if my actions are proper or not (even though the passage actually is describing the ideal wife).  That's when I found this verse that I had never really noticed before:

"She considers a field and buys it;
From her profits she plants a vineyard. 
She girds herself with strength,
And strengthens her arms."  (Proverbs 31:16-17, NKJV)

Whoa, wait!  This woman, this virtuous wife, buys a field?!  Without her husband, apparently!  And then she plants a vineyard from her profits!  What?  She's farming!  Not only that, but the second verse here  completely blows the standard "women shouldn't have to do hard manual labour (especially if they're married)" argument out the water.  This virtuous wife "girds herself with strength and strengthens her arms."  I can't say it better than God, so I'll leave it at that.

This whole passage blew my mind.  I was done searching for the time being.  I needed to let that sink in for a while.  However, I realized that I had not yet done my daily devotions, so I turned to the book of Judges and read the story of when Manoah's wife is told of Samson's coming birth.  And then that story blew my mind!  Check out the verses that completely messed up how I've been told women should behave in society:

"God heard Manoah, and the angel of God came again to the woman while she was out in the field; but her husband Manoah was not with her. The woman hurried to tell her husband, “He’s here! The man who appeared to me the other day!” Manoah got up and followed his wife." (Judges 13:9-11, NIV)

Now, I'm not sure what Manoah's wife was doing in the field.  The New King James Version says she was sitting in the field.  I'm just wondering why she would be out there in the first place if there wasn't work to be done.  It reminds me that in Biblical times, women often worked in the fields.  It was only when "improvements" and technology were brought to agriculture that it was thought that women should not or could not be in the fields.  And by the way, what is Manoah doing while his wife is in the field?  We don't know, but he's he's obviously sitting down.  I'm sure he was doing something productive, praying maybe, but he sure wasn't out in the field right at that moment.

I'm not saying that these two small passages are conclusive, but I'm going to keep looking.  If ever I find something that seems to indicate that a woman shouldn't work in the fields and care for livestock, I'll stop and take a good hard look at my life, but for now, all I'm getting from God's Word is a green light when I ask, "Is it okay for me to be a farmer?"

So, if you or someone you know is concerned about me, please bring your concerns to me.  It hurts a lot less when I don't have to hear what you said about me from someone else and I want to be able to assure you that I am seeking God's will for my life.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Valerie,

    Of course women can be farmers. Just look to the book of Ruth. Here's Ruth, a widow who has recently decided to move in with her mother-in-law, needs to provide for both of them. What does she do? She goes and works in the fields. Now I wouldn't necessary call her a "farmer", because she was mainly there to glean, and I am not sure how much work that entails nor does she go and purchase land. However, she is still doing a necessary farming job, doing hard physical labour from dawn until dusk. All to provide food for herself and her mother-in-law. Ruth, easily could have done a more traditional "woman's" occupation, like being a seamstress, and still have provided for herself and Naomie. But, she didn't. She decided to farm. Now I know farming makes you happy and that is just fantastic. Even during high school you were always more upbeat, more happy, excited about anything that had to do with your farm. So, keep doing something that you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I'm like 3 years late on this one, but it popped up as a memory on my facebook and I have time, so you're getting a reply. :)
    Now I know you and I see the Bible a little differently – you take it more literally as the word of God, where as I see it more as lessons to be learned from, but if you're still struggling with this here are my two cents. Farming is your gift. You're good at it, you enjoy it, and it allows you to give back to your community. And gifts should be used in God's service. Here are a few passages I found that might help you. At least in my version of the Bible, they do not specify gender. They're not farming specific, but since many of the jobs we have in the modern world simply did not exist at the time the bible was written, I would consider a woman farming on her own to fall into the same category – not specifically mentioned, but still acceptable as a use of your gifts.

    “We have different gifts, according to the grace given us” - Romans 12:6

    “There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men. [*this I take to mean all mankind, ergo all humans] Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good.” ... “All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines.” - 1 Corinthians 12: 5-7, 11 I'm not typing it all out, but I would actually suggest reading all of 1 Corinthians ch 12.

    “Each of you should use whatever gifts you have received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in it's various forms. If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God. If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ.” - 1 Peter 4: 10-11

    “Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming own from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.” - James 1:17

    “In all the works you are doing, work the best you can. Work as if you were doing it for the Lord, not for people. Remember that you will receive your reward from the Lord, which he promised to his people. You are serving the Lord Christ.” - Colossians 3:23-24

    “Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and he will establish your plans.” - Proverbs 16:3

    The way I see it, the message is that whatever you are called to do, you do in service of God. Nowhere does it say, men must use their gifts and follow their hearts, but if you're a woman then sucks to be you.

    Brenna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the encouragement, Brenna. I have settled this issue for myself, and this blog post was an explanation of that process for those still doubting that I was in God's will. Even so, thanks for your input. I had not considered those verses in my search.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments positive and constructive. If there is a post or comment that you disagree with, feel free to disagree in a respectful manner. Different points of view keep our world interesting and they need not divide us!