Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Faces of My Farm

I talk about working on the farm a lot, so I thought I'd share some of the faces that I see on a regular basis.  Here are the faces of my farm:


Name: Dopey
Story: This is one of my calves.  He is the first calf I ever rubber ringed (definition: "castrated"). He got stepped on a few days ago, so the vet had to put a cast on his leg.  It comes off in three weeks.  His name is Dopey because he may be cute, but he's got to be the dumbest calf I've ever had the pleasure of owning.


Name: Squirt
Story: Squirt is one of my Dad's calves.  He isn't growing right because he only sucks out of one quarter of his mom's udder and won't touch the other three unless we lock his mom up and force him to drink out of all four quarters.  Dad generally only names the problem calves, hence "Squirt".


Name: Whitey
Story: Whitey is the oldest bull on our farm.  He is actually Whitey II, named after Whitey I, who was a bull on our farm when I was a child.  He's a purebred white Charlais.  He is nearing retirement.


Name: Frenchie
Story: Frenchie used to be a show bull, back before we bought him.  He's possibly the tamest of our bulls, although all of them are pretty tame and calm.  He nearly ran a small stampede over me the other day when we were sorting cows after Hot Rod and one of the other bulls ganged up on him.  Like Whitey, Frenchie is a purebred white Charlais.


Name: Hot Rod
Story: This is really the best picture I could get of Hot Rod.  He's a character. Hot Rod doesn't walk; he struts.  He's a purebred red Charlais.


Name: Angus
Story: Angus is our only purebred Red Angus bull, hence the name.


Name: Unknown
Story: This guy does have a name, but we can't remember it right now.  He's Dad's newest bull, another purebred red Charlais.



Name: Bandit
Story: Bandit is our farm dog.  We got him as an eight-week-old puppy about a year ago.  He's pretty smart, but also a bit mischievous.  His hobbies include chasing everything that moves, playing fetch, and generally being adorable.



Name: Boo
Story: Boo is our house cat.  We have barn cats, but they don't like people, so I can't introduce you to them.  Boo's hobbies include randomly tearing around the house, climbing all over everyone, and watching the birds out the window.  She and Bandit are currently negotiating terms of friendship through the screen door.



Name: Rusty the Farm Truck (because every farmer knows that every farm truck has its own personality)

So, those are the faces of my farm.  I hope you enjoyed meeting them.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Valerie - what a great way to give us a background to your everyday life on the farm.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments positive and constructive. If there is a post or comment that you disagree with, feel free to disagree in a respectful manner. Different points of view keep our world interesting and they need not divide us!