Saturday, October 17, 2015

When Tragedy Strikes

This post has been updated from its original form.  My thanks to Mr. G for clarifying what I didn't know.

Not long ago, we heard of a terrible accident that claimed the lives of three young girls on an Alberta farm.  It is shocking and heartbreaking anytime someone is killed or seriously injured on the farm, and especially so when the victim is a child.  As a farmer, I am well aware of the dangers that go with my job and lifestyle and I have had my share of close calls.  I don't much like to talk or think about the dangers and tragedies, but sometimes circumstances demand a response.  This is one such time.

I have no children, so I have no idea what the parents and family of these young girls must be feeling.  I imagine they are heartbroken and numb.  There have been tragic deaths of teenagers in the Barrhead community, so I can understand a bit of the shock that the community must be feeling.  Even for those who did not know the girls or the family, there is some level of grief and a measure of disbelief.  No one wants it to be true.  Several years ago, a neighbour of mine was killed in a farming accident, so again, I can understand the shock and grief of the community.  These types of accidents hit farmers particularly hard because we are reminded of our own close calls, but we still have to go out and keep working, though with extra vigilance so that our family is not the next to bury a loved one.  Yes, I can empathize with those who are grieving right now.  My first response to this tragedy is to think of the family and community.

My second response, which follows only seconds after my initial response is far less understanding.  As a farm kid, I played and worked in some pretty dangerous places.  I know that I did and I know that other farm kids still do.  My second response, though terribly harsh, is this: What on earth were those girls doing in the back of that grain truck?  How could this happen?  How could they be allowed to be there?  There were clearly adults on the scene.  Why didn't they stop them?  I realize that this type of response, blaming those who were there, is not in any way helpful.  I know it won't bring those girls back or comfort the family.

Don't misunderstand me. Let's take away the fact that these were children for a moment. I know how easy it is to just climb into the back of a truck and even out the piles to make more grain fit. Knowing they were helping out and not just playing, I figure that's probably what the girls were doing. But every farmer knows how quickly one can sink down into the grain without even realizing it. I'm not saying the girls were wrong or their parents or other family members. I know it is easy to blame them and I admit I'm tempted to do so, but I need to emphasize that I get it. I get how these things happen, but we as farmers need to be more vigilant with ourselves, our workers, and our children.

I can't help thinking that all of us in the farming community (myself included) need, every so often, to be taken by the shoulders, firmly shaken, and asked, "What are you doing?!"  It's far too easy for us to believe ourselves to be invincible.  The dangers are so common that we almost forget they are there.  I am guilty of doing stupid things to save time and my city cousins (quite rightly) have lectured me several times on staying safe.  When tragedy strikes, all of us are more willing to listen to those lectures, to take a little extra time, and to be safe.  If only we could always remember to do that.  We might lose far fewer farmers and far fewer children.

1 comment:

  1. Our hearts ache for this family in the midst of unbelievable loss - and we, the non- farmers, are reminded of the need for safety - not just on the farm - but also where our teens are both driving & drinking irresponsibly, doing harmful smoking etc. - but we tend to "forget" the everyday risks WE take and are quick to chastise the farm community when an accident occurs on their land. None of us is invincible!

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments positive and constructive. If there is a post or comment that you disagree with, feel free to disagree in a respectful manner. Different points of view keep our world interesting and they need not divide us!