Wednesday, November 25, 2015

I Signed the Petition to Stop Bill 6

Yesterday I wrote that I would not sign the petition to stop Bill 6.  Today, I signed the petition.

Did I lie to myself and everyone else when I said I would not sign the petition?  No.  I had no good reason to sign the petition yesterday.  If I had, it would have been a reaction, which is what I wanted to avoid.  I wanted to respond, not react, to Bill 6.  I have continued to research and think carefully about the issue.  Today, after careful consideration, I signed the petition.  Let me tell you why.

Yesterday I wrote that it might be time for the family farm to die, in order to make agriculture more efficient.  That may or may not be true.  I still don't know.  What I do know is that it is not realistic to think that agriculture is anywhere close to making that change.  Family farms still make up a significant portion of our agriculture sector in Alberta.  Not only that, but agriculture isn't just an industry.  For many people, it is still a way of life.  Farmers don't clock in at 8 am and clock out at supper time.  Farming is a hard job, but we don't ask for shorter hours, better pay, or more vacation time.  The difficulties are a non-negotiable part of the job.

I wouldn't want anyone to find me ungrateful, but all these city folk who are worried for the safety of the farmers need to understand that we don't want them speaking for us.  We teach our children, workers, and guests to be safe when they work on the farm.  We don't like the government to interfere in our business too much because it makes us inefficient and costs us a lot of money, for very little benefit.

I think maybe it is time for some of these safety regulations to come to the agriculture industry.  Unfortunately, a lot of the things being proposed by Bill 6 will bring more harm than good to the farmers.  I want to believe that our government is genuinely concerned about our safety.  I also believe that our government officials are genuinely ignorant.  They have no idea about the agriculture industry, and even less understanding of the people behind it.  The one and only reason that I signed the petition is because the government has not consulted with farmers and ranchers on this Bill.  Even so, they plan to implement major portions of it by January 1, 2016.  They plan to consult with farmers after the Bill has passed.  I do not think that is right.

I watched a portion of Question Period, in which the leader of the opposition questioned the wisdom of implementing Bill 6 so quickly.  Every response I heard focussed on the length of time it has been since OHS has been implemented in Alberta.  Our NDP government does not want us too wait "another 98 years" without our "rights".  I won't claim to speak for everyone else in the industry, but I don't want those rights.  Are they even still considered rights if they are forced on a person?  Besides, those are all city folk in the government.  I don't want them speaking for me.  I have my own voice and if I need something, they'll hear it from me!

If the government would consult with farmers before passing the Bill, I would not have signed the petition.  A rushed job like this, though, will have no support from me.  That is why I signed the petition.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments positive and constructive. If there is a post or comment that you disagree with, feel free to disagree in a respectful manner. Different points of view keep our world interesting and they need not divide us!