Monday, October 31, 2016

Meet Bandit, The Super Awesome Farm Dog

HELLO PEOPLE!!!!  I LOVE YOU!!!!  YOU'RE AMAZING!!!  Whew!  Now that we've got that out of the way, let me introduce myself (seriously, you're so cool).  My name is Bandit.


I'm the official super awesome farm dog here at Ehrenholz Farms.  My job is fantastic!  I get to chase cows, ride in the side-by-side, hang out with some terrific people, and train The Kid.

Let's take a moment to talk about The Kid before I go into detail about my other duties.  The Kid is a young pup that came to live on the farm earlier this year.  His name is Max, but I call him The Kid because he's my sidekick.  The Kid is a pretty great guy and we get along really well.  He's sort of like a little brother.  I do my best to bestow upon him all my wealth of knowledge, just as my mentor, the late, great Wolfie did for me.  Enough about him, though.

I love to chase the cows!  It's the most terrific part of my job!  Sometimes I'm allowed to chase them along with the humans, and other times I sneak a quick chase in when the humans aren't looking.  If I get caught, the the thrill is almost worth getting scolded.  Cows aren't the only thing I chase.  I'm also an expert in chasing birds, butterflies, and vehicles.  Chasing and running are my absolute FAVOURITE things to do!  And just to make sure everyone knows that, I try to chase anything I can when someone drives onto the yard.  Sometimes there's nothing to chase, so then I pounce on The Kid.  That's pretty fun, too.

Let's talk about the side-by-side now.  The side-by-side, also called Ranger by the humans, is the BEST THING EVER!  I can't even describe how amazing it is!  The humans get to ride in it all the time, but sometimes they let us dogs join them.  The best is when they let us sit up front on the seat!  I stick my face above the windshield and let the wind rush through my fur!  It's absolutely exhilarating!   The only bad part is that sometimes the humans have to hit the brakes extra fast and then I smack into the dashboard and fall on the floor.  It doesn't hurt much, though, and sometimes the humans even remember to catch me before I go flying forward!  My humans are AWESOME!  Other times the dogs get sent into the back box of the Ranger.  I suppose it's safer back there when they hit the brakes, but the wind doesn't rush through my fur in quite the same way.  Still, it's better than running alongside.  That can get a wee bit dangerous.  One time I got distracted and stopped right in front of the Ranger.  Getting run over sure did hurt!  Valerie let me ride in the front seat after that until I got my wind back and jumped out to chase some cows.  Now I have a pretty sweet limp.  The Kid thinks I'm even cooler now!

My final official duty is to be a guard dog.  The humans say I'm terrible at this job, but I think I'm a pretty amazing guard dog.  My mentor, Wolfie, taught me that guarding is a twofold job: firstly, it means keeping the coyotes away, and secondly, it means greeting absolutely EVERYONE who walks or drives onto the yard.  I take running coyotes off the yard very seriously.  It was those mangy beasts who killed Wolfie a couple of years back.  I was too young to help him fight, and he was too old to get away.  All I could do was save myself and show the humans where Wolfie was the next day.  I promised myself that when I got big enough, I would show those coyotes that they are not welcome on this farm.  I run and bark every night, scaring those creepy wimps right back into the bush!  The second part of guarding is far more pleasurable!  I LOVE people!  I would never want to scare anyone, so I run up to them without barking at all and wag my tail until they pet me.  It's so much fun!  

Well, that's about all I've got to say about myself right now.  If you ever make it out to the farm, I will be so EXCITED to meet you!  We can hang out and you can pet me and rub my tummy, and I'll lick your face and lean on you!

1 comment:

  1. WE love Farm Dogs! Too bad I'm not close enough to come just to meet the dogs! Great article!

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments positive and constructive. If there is a post or comment that you disagree with, feel free to disagree in a respectful manner. Different points of view keep our world interesting and they need not divide us!