Sunday, April 5, 2020

Being an Essential Worker in a Time of Crisis

Work has been strange for the past few weeks.  Almost every day I am seeing changes in the way I do my job, both in town and on the farm.  The restrictions regarding which businesses can and cannot remain open in the wake of COVID-19 are changing how I do my jobs and how I think about what needs to be done.

My town job as a delivery worker for the local dry cleaner will not end, as we are considered an essential service, providing clean uniforms to businesses in the food production industry, like the local oat mill and grocery store.  My delivery routes are getting shorter every day, though, as more and more businesses shut down to wait out the pandemic.

On the farm, my work, in many ways, is the same as always.  Cows are calving and need to be monitored carefully.  All of the animals need to be fed - this year that means feeding extra grain, because our hay is of poor quality due to a wet summer.  Some of the hay is still in hay yards several miles away, so it needs to be hauled home.  Of course, that would require a fully functioning wagon - ours is currently stranded in a neighbour's yard, awaiting repairs.  Winter is the time for repairs, and this year we have several pieces of equipment needing work (including my car, which was damaged in an accident last month).  In short, the work on the farm isn't about to shut down for any national or international crisis.
Even during an international crisis, sick calves need individual care.

In other ways, it is becoming more difficult to get the farm work done.  Farmers aren't lone rangers.  There are many people we depend on and interact with.

I had to pick up some supplements and minerals for my cattle and some dog and cat food a little while ago.  Normally I would walk into the mill store, place my order at the counter and then move my truck around to the back and help to load the bags onto the truck.  This time, I had to call my order in and someone had to bring the debit machine out to me.  I did help load up the truck, but a few days later, the company announced they they were asking customers to simply stay in their vehicles and leave the employees to load the orders.

I have also had to pick up calving supplies from the vet and from Co-op.  Social distancing protocols have forced me to think through my supply runs more thoroughly, as I must decide if I need to get more of something to last me longer, or risk having to interact with people more frequently.

Similar situations have become normal across the agriculture industry.  Dairy farmers in some parts of the country have been told to stay back from the milk truck drivers and to not even be in the same room as them, lest they refuse to pick up the milk.  Elevators have told truckers to remain in their trucks when delivering grain.  Agricultural lending companies and grain buyers have been sending out dozens of emails telling customers to do as much business via email or phone as possible, while offices shut down.  These are such simple requests, but a few months ago they would have been utterly unimaginable, for farmers tend to be sociable, helpful, and involved.

Nonetheless, the business of agriculture must and will carry on through every crisis, as will every other essential service.  Farmers have carried on producing food around the world through other epidemics, through wars, political upheavals, economic collapses, government betrayals, and natural disasters.  Some falter under the weight of the burden (and who wouldn't?), but as a whole, the business of agriculture does indeed carry on.

So, while my friends try to fill their jobless hours or figure out how to work from home, I carry on with an almost normal work schedule, half wishing for a bit of a break and half relieved to not be working in the medical field, for those who are do are far more tired and overworked than I.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments positive and constructive. If there is a post or comment that you disagree with, feel free to disagree in a respectful manner. Different points of view keep our world interesting and they need not divide us!